How can we go about terminating parental rights? 7 Answers as of January 20, 2014

My daughter's father abandoned me when he found out I was pregnant. We only had contact a handful of times over the next 3 months. Finally he threatened me if I didn't leave him alone, stating he wanted nothing to do with me or the baby and threatening to harm me and the child if I came near or tried to force his involvement, and told me to get an abortion or he'd give me one. I never placed him on the birth certificate, and I do not want child support. I tried contacting him when she was born, but emails and letters bounce back and he's out of state. Can I file for abandonment to get his rights terminated if I have no idea where he is or how to get a hold of him? Or should I not worry about it unless he resurfaces? I do not want him involved with her at all.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
In Louisiana, parental rights are ordinarily only terminated in connection with an adoption. If you marry and your spouse wishes to adopt your child, and the other parent has not contacted the child without just cause in over six months or supported the child in accordance with a court order of support for over six months, the adoption may proceed without their consent. You should contact a family law attorney for specific information about your particular case.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 1/20/2014
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
If his name is not on the child's birth certificate then he has no legal rights concerning the child. If he decides later he wants rights or if the attorney general decided they want him to pay child support, then you can terminate his parental rights based on non support and abandonment.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/20/2014
John Russo | John Russo
You can't file abandonment without notice to him that's #1, but even if you did know where he was you are leaving out the most important part, is your new spouse willing to adopt? No adoption no termination.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/20/2014
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Frances An
Just forget about him for now. If he has no contact and provides no support for 5 years, you can easily terminate his parental rights. But for now, if he surfaces, just sic the child support unit on him. That should take care of him.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/20/2014
GordenLaw, LLC
GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
The law generally favors two parents to support the child financially and emotionally. Generally, you would need to have an adoption by a stepfather to have a termination of rights as to biological dad. You do not say how old your daughter Nebraska, the statute of limitations is 4 years for either you or her father to file a paternity case to institute child support/parenting time. However, if you seek state benefits for your child, the State may institute paternity proceedings against her father, even if she is older than 4. In addition, if something were to happen to you or she were to become involved with juvenile court, there would likewise not be a statute of limitations. Your best bet is to visit with a lawyer regarding your specific facts in more detail, under confidentiality, for a full picture of your options.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 1/20/2014
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    You really do not need to worry about it unless he does pop back up at some point. You have complete and total custody of your child. He has no right to see the child. Abandonment is not an action to file in Ohio, but you could end up having another man adopt your child down the line if you see so fit.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/20/2014
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    You should have his parental rights terminated.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/20/2014
Click to View More Answers: