How can we get a student visa or visitors visa? 2 Answers as of December 08, 2010

Our first question is I have a 23 years old niece in the Philippines and we would like to invite her to come as a student visa. We would like to know what documents do we need to do that and also how much it would cost and if we need a name of a school for her to attend to? Our second question is what documents do we need for a visitors visa for my 23 years old niece and how much money do we need to do that? My husband and I are the ones who are going to do all these, right now I am not employed but my husband works for the military as a contract employee for 8 years now, could you please tell us what necessary documents do we need especially since he works for the military? Is it better if my husband will be the only one to do the petition? Please advise.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I have your question, and understand it. Sorry to be so late. What you have to deal with is that, first of all, applying for a student visa is not like a green card, or even sponsoring someone to come as a tourist on a B-1 visa. You can't sponsor her, or send an invitation that will enable her to get her visa. If is as simple as her having the academic qualifications to be admitted into a university or college, and then obtaining an I-20 form completed and supported with appropriate documents, submitted to the U.S. consulate or embassy in Manila or Quezon City, They grant the F-1 student visa, and the student comes into the USA, and registers with the university, and then, with the SEVIS student monitoring network through the university's international student office (ISO). Your niece would have to show financial support from sources outside the USA to qualify, which may be hard, since it appears that you are supporting them. That is only going to be possible, on a practical matter, in your case, if you send remittances to your niece's family, and they are able to demonstrate that as part of their income, enabling them to claim that they are supporting their daughter (?).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/8/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Find school, contact me, process enrollment, show bank statements, file application, bring documents to US Embassy to apply for student visa. For more information on how to start, email me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/17/2010
Click to View More Answers: