How can we get rid of a vehicle that my wife's ex husband will not pay lien that's under his name only? 6 Answers as of April 03, 2013

My wife's ex husband was ordered to make payments on a vehicle she was given in the divorce. The lien is in his name only. The vehicle is junk and is not wanted. The ex husband has already fled the state due to a contempt of court warrant issued for his arrest. How do we legally get rid of this vehicle? The easy answer is it is still registered to him and the lien is in his name only, so just abandon it. Surely there must be a better option.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
If his name is on the title you cannot sell it without his consent or a court order.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/3/2013
Guardian Law Group PLLC
Guardian Law Group PLLC | C. David Hester
Don't abandon it, just return to the lien holder.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 4/3/2013
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If the ex -husband has defaulted on the car loan, then the bank should be interested in repossessing the vehicle. If so, you can simply contact the lien holder , tell them where the car is and invite them to repossess it.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/3/2013
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Go to court for quiet title action to have judge have title signed over to you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/3/2013
Law Offices Of Raymond H. Aver, APC | Raymond H. Aver
Contact the lien holder whose name should appear on the certificate of title, and arrange for the lender to pick the vehicle up from you. Make sure you receive something in writing acknowledging that the vehicle has been turned over to the lien holder.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/3/2013
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    if the vehicle is junk and not wanted and it has a lien on it.. call the lien holder and tell them to come and get it You cannot sell it for any value ... albeit a junk yard may take it off your hands.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/3/2013
Click to View More Answers: