How can we get our money back if our name was used for utilities and we paid $4000? 9 Answers as of February 10, 2014

My wife's daughter and her husband used her name for utilities and now we have to pay a $4000.00 dollar bill for a place that she never lived. We want our money back.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If you didn't sign anything, you should not owe. It sounds like the step daughter is a spoiled brat and you should make her pay.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/10/2014
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Too bad you paid. Why? Did your wife know they were using her name? If not, try suing in Small Claims Court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/10/2014
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
You have two choices. Either you can prosecute your wife's daughter for Fraud or you can pay the bill. If you do not wish to pay the bill, the only way to demonstrate that you are not complicit in the fraud is to immediately make a police report and then forward a copy of the police report to the utility company.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/10/2014
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Identity theft cases often take a long time to resolve. For starters, contact the utility company and expalin what happened. Then follow up in writing. You will probably have to provide affidavits, and likely other documentation as well. Also report this to the police, though don't expect much from them as there is such a huge backlog for identitiy theft cases. You and your wife will have to sue her daughter and husband as well.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/10/2014
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
If they will not pay you back, you have to sue them and hope they have some assets.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/10/2014
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    The daughter used her mothers name to have utilities installed. The mother was ignorant (or did she know of the deal?)
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 2/10/2014
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You can take them to small claims. See the court clerk for the form.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 2/7/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Sue her daughter and her husband in small claims court.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 2/7/2014
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    I've actually seen children do this, using their parent's names. Good question, not sure there is an easy answer other than writing first to the utility company and asking for proof you were the one's signing up. If that doesn't work hire a lawyer and offer to pay them a set fee to try and eliminate the bill.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 2/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: