How can we get an immigration visitor visa? 2 Answers as of April 29, 2011

I am asylee with a green card. I have had the green card for couple years now. I have been in the US for 5 years. I can't obviously go back home but I would to see my mom and my brother and sister. My question is this: if I want my mom to visit me and I have an American citizen here sign an affidavit of support showing that everything will be covered, can she get the visa? How about my brother and sister?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
This is a difficult question, because your family members are going to be viewed as intending immigrants, not as visitors.

There is no sponsorship available nor necessary for visitor's visas. Your family members will have to do a good job of demonstrating that they have something so precious in your home country that they will return to it, and that whatever situation qualified you for asylum does not apply to them.

You need to spend a little time and some money to consult with an immigration attorney who can do some research on your home country and advise you about strategy.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/29/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
She can get a tourist visit for a short visit.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 4/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: