How can we defend ourselves if a retailer is accusing us of returning altered merchandise? 5 Answers as of December 18, 2013

A retailer contacted me and informed me that many of the returns made against our family's original purchases were later discovered to be on merchandise with altered parts and of significantly lesser value. Since the refund were made in full to our credit card, they want to pursue legal claims and/or charges against the named individual on the account. We were asked to returned the missing items but we don't know how the items are now found to be different or how they may have been tampered with before our return. Since I take these claims very seriously and they involve transactions performed by other family members, what actions and stance should we take in protecting ourselves?

You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC | Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
Since you felt the need to post this issue on a legal information website, I urge you to seek private attorney counsel as appropriate to your personal needs and issues.
You should retain an attorney.
Get a lawyer and demand to see the things they are talking about.
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
You should speak to a criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as possible.