How can we defend ourselves if a retailer is accusing us of returning altered merchandise? 5 Answers as of December 18, 2013

A retailer contacted me and informed me that many of the returns made against our family's original purchases were later discovered to be on merchandise with altered parts and of significantly lesser value. Since the refund were made in full to our credit card, they want to pursue legal claims and/or charges against the named individual on the account. We were asked to returned the missing items but we don't know how the items are now found to be different or how they may have been tampered with before our return. Since I take these claims very seriously and they involve transactions performed by other family members, what actions and stance should we take in protecting ourselves?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/18/2013
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC
Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC | Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
Since you felt the need to post this issue on a legal information website, I urge you to seek private attorney counsel as appropriate to your personal needs and issues.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 12/18/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You should retain an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 12/18/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get a lawyer and demand to see the things they are talking about.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/18/2013
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
You should speak to a criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 12/18/2013
Click to View More Answers: