How can we adopt our grandchild? 22 Answers as of May 17, 2011

My daughter and her ex boy friend left their child with my wife and I. It has been three years, now and my wife want and need to take custody so my granddaughter can attend school. What do we have to do?

The most simple method is to get daughter to sign an appointment of guardianship of a minor child giving you conservatorship. Conservatorship is the right to make legal decisions. It is one part of custody, you already have the second which is actual possession. That said, you can also file a Petition for Adoption. This latter step requires you to terminate your daughter and the Dad's parental rights. Which means they need to agree or there will be a fight.
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
You actually have options of guardianship or adoption. I encourage you to contact our office to set up a free consultation to discuss your options.
Have your daughter sign over custody via a joint motion, so you can register the child with schools and make medical decisions. Adoption is not necessary, but it could likewise be done with the consent of the mother and boyfriend. Stay well.
File a guardianship.
You can move to terminate their parental rights which would free them for adoption; or short of that you could apply to become their guardians/retain custody, which is what a school requires. You would apply for either of these things at the local Probate Court. If you need any assistance please let us know. Good luck.
    You need to contact an adoption agency or the Department of Human Services for assistance and further information about what Colorado calls a kinship adoption.
    It is not easy to seek third party custody. It would require a showing that the child has lived with you in a parent-child type relationship and that the parents (both of them) endanger the child if the child is in their care. To commence an action, you must serve and file a Petition for custody where both parents would have a right to appear and be heard by a court on the issue. You should consult with an experienced attorney in your area.
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC
    Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
    At a minimum, you can seek temporary or permanent custody, or you can proceed to file a petition to adopt the child, terminating your daughter's and her ex-boyfriend's parental rights. You need to hire an experienced attorney that can help you choose the best option for you.
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    You may be able to adopt the child, but another option might be to file for third party custody. Please see an attorney to explore the options based on your specific circumstances.
    Seek their consent to adopt the child. If they agree to give their consent, you and your husband should file an Adoption case to adopt the child. An alternative, if they don't agree to give their consent would be to file a Guardianship case, to become the child's legal Guardians.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    We have one of the foremost adoption lawyers in the Country. We would be happy to help.
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    I would recommend taking the role of Guardians instead of adoptive grandparents. This can be temporary or permanent. As long as your daughter consents, it should be a relatively smooth process for you. A family law attorney can help you with the paperwork.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    Adoption may or may not be available but guardianship or custody may be an answer. I have far more questions to ask before I can tell the proper channel.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    If you are in California, you would file for permanent guardianship with intention to adopt in the probate court. The other parties will have to be noticed and can file objections.
    Berner Law Group, PLLC
    Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
    If you live in Western Washington, please feel free to call my office to set up a free, no obligation consultation-in person or by phone-with an experienced family law attorney about your case. Adoption is an option, depending on the circumstances, as is third party custody.
    Give me a call, I can help. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    MRM Law Offices
    MRM Law Offices | Matthew Miller
    Petition for Custody Absent an agreement from the parent or parents of a child, a grandparent must file a petition for child custody. The petition is filed in the court in the county where the child currently resides. The clerk of the court likely maintains a petition for child custody utilized for this purpose.
    The first step would be to get yourselves appointed as a guardian. You then would file a motion to terminate parental rights, followed by an adoption petition. I strongly suggest hiring an attorney experienced in all three aspects of this matter.
    You need to first seek guardianship. Call a local lawyer who specializes in guardianship. Good luck!
    You have to file for a Guardianship in Family Law Court. The Clerk's Office in your area probably has a package of forms you can use, and might offer a free consultation with a Court Facilitator. You can also obtain the forms on-line on the Judicial Council website. Consult an experienced, local Family Law Attorney for a free consultation.