How can someone in the military stationed overseas get divorced? 15 Answers as of June 07, 2011

I am currently in the military originally from the US and was married in the state of Montana. I am know stationed in the U.K. how could I proceed with a divorce?

You need a lawyer in your home state, or her home state. That lawyer can file on your behalf. You can appear via deposition. However, this assumes everything can be agreed otherwise you will end up taking leave to attend the hearing.
You would need to retain a Montana Family Law Attorney to file and prosecute a divorce case against your wife in Montana, under your circumstances.
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
The first question is what is your home state/state of residence? You would have to comply with the laws of that state when seeking a divorce.
Speak to a JAG officer about this matter and if that fails, then hire an attorney in Montana and perhaps your spouse will agree to it as well and make it simple. Good luck.
You need to consult your base legal assistance (JAG) office for more help. Generally, you may be able to file for divorce in your state of legal domicile (not the same as your home of record, probably what state is shown on your LES for state tax purposes), but the most likely choice would be the state where your spouse is now living (if he/she is not in UK with you). The place of marriage is totally irrelevant to where you can be divorced. Once you determine the appropriate stateside location to file, you should be able to retain an attorney there and probably handle most of the requirements by mail, email, or telephone.
    Contact an attorney in the state where your spouse resides.
    I would recommend that you contact a divorce lawyer in your state and community of residence concerning your rights. In Georgia, we have been able to handle simple uncontested divorces under certain circumstances, or at least gotten the ball rolling prior to the service member's return. But again, consult with a divorce lawyer in your state. Good luck!
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    In Ohio and Michigan you could arrange an uncontested divorce, with your spouse appearing alone before the court. Most attorneys now use e-mail. Consult with a local attorney in Montana, or a rep of the JAG corps.
    If they maintain a residence in the U.S. they may file for a dissolution of marriage in that State. However, if contested, court appearances may be necessary which may not be possible for someone on active duty.
    You can file for divorce in your state of residence or in the state of residence of your spouse (if they are different). An attorney can assist you. You may also be able to file in the UK, but you'd have to speak with a UK attorney about that. If your residence is in my area or your spouse lives in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    If it's an uncontested divorce in which you and your wife agree on all of the issues that need to be addressed in your case, you can hire a lawyer in the state and county where your wife lives and the papers can be drawn up, signed (using FedEx), and filed with the court and the divorce might be able to be finalized without a hearing, depending on the judge. You can file a contested divorce petition, but you would have to travel to the US for mediations, court hearings, etc.; so you would probably want to wait till you returned to the US for that.
    Naomi Hirayasu Attorney at Law
    Naomi Hirayasu Attorney at Law | Naomi Hirayasu
    Is your home state or your wife's Hawaii? Are there any children? If so, where have the children lived for the last six months. If you can answer these questions for me, then I can address your concerns.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    If Montana is still your official state of residence, or your wife is living in Montana, then you should consult with a Montana attorney regarding what would be needed.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    You should consult a lawyer in the state where your spouse resides.
    You may or may not be able to depending on many details. Start by contacting a lawyer in your state.