How can someone file a lien against your property when you don't owe them any money? 1 Answers as of June 21, 2011

A contractor has filed for a lien against my new home, based on some unpaid concrete work that was to be paid by our builder, who we just bought the home from. I have never contracted work with the company filing the lien, and owe them no money. How can they file for a lien on the property when it is our builder, not us, who owes them?

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
Colorado law allows for a lien to attach to the property. The contractor must meet several statutory requirements, however. You should consult an attorney about the specific facts of your situation to determine how you should proceed. Keep in mind that in Colorado, under certain circumstances, sale of the house could be forced to satisfy the lien. I would not delay in consulting an attorney.