How can she protect her right to a fair trial after she was denied copy of case discovery by a public defender in a criminal case? 1 Answers as of November 02, 2017

A defendant, in custody, has been told by her court appointed Public Defender "I cannot defend you to the best of my ability, you should hire a private attorney you will get a better deal". Defendant also requested copy of case discovery and PD said no that it would not help the defense. Defendant hires private attorney. Four court dates later, he is dismissed and defendant is not told why and private attorney also failed to provide copy of discovery telling her he gave it to the DA to pass along. Now the original PD is back on the case, and she acts like she stands for the prosecution. Is it customary for the court and attorney to behave this way?

Spend some money and hire a "real" lawyer.