How can a person transfer DUI classes to another state without actually transferring the case? 3 Answers as of August 09, 2013

I have a client in my treatment program from another state and she would like to do her driving under the influence classes out here. The client doesn't want to transfer the case, the client just wants to get off the probation there and be done with that.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
The classes can be taken in another state so long as the program she wants to transfer to is similar in duration to the classes she is assigned to. Either on her own or with the assistance of her current probation officer she should look at the programs that the proposed state uses for 1st offense OUI classes. Get a brochure or something that details the classes as to duration and content and present that to her current probation officer. She will need approval of the court or probation to do this but it should not be a problem. I have had many clients that were charged in MA but did the 1st offender program in another state. She could also contact the lawyer who handled the OUI for her to assist. It shouldn't take more than a phone call or two by the lawyer to help her out.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/9/2013
Catchick Law, PC
Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
Your client will need to call her assigned Probation Officer to get permission (preferably in writing) to complete her alcohol treatment classes out-of-state.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/9/2013
Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
It is possible to do and this has happened before. The first thing is to approach probation with the transfer if probation ok's it, than she would be able to do the classes in the state and still be on probation in the first state. A very big caveat - most probation terms have travel restrictions. If your client is planning on moving or spending significant time in another state, the court and probation must be informed and proper waivers given.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/9/2013
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!