How can people filing for bankruptcy pay attorneys? 1 Answers as of August 16, 2010

I am trying to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy because I have almost $40,000 dollars of debt. I currently don’t have an income and passed the means test. Since I am so far in debt and have no income I don’t think I can hire a lawyer. But I have heard from some lawyers that if I try to go pro se or use Nolo books that I will get into trouble even though I think this bankruptcy is pretty straight forward. Is that true? How do people filing for bankruptcy with nothing usually pay their attorneys?

David Nelson
David Nelson | David Nelson
If you do not have anything to trade, and if you do not have any income, or real estate or money in the bank, then you do not have anything to garnish, levy or put a lien on. I would recommend you wait until you are working to file, earn the money to pay your attorney and then file.

Besides, if you do not have health insurance or car insurance, you do not want to file anyway. Make sure you are covered before you file your case or you might wind up in worse trouble than you are in. If you are not insured and you have a car accident, especially if it is your fault, then you will not be able to pay to fix your car, their car, your injuries or their pain and suffering.

In that case, you would be much worse off than now. So make sure you are properly insured before you file your bankruptcy.