How can people file bankruptcy so easily? 12 Answers as of December 01, 2015

I have a judgement against a couple that barrow money from me they are determined not to pay me back they have filed bankruptcy they say they don't have any property and I know they have put cars antiques and a house full of stuff in some one else's name! Is there and thing I can do when I go to court and dispute what they are saying ! They both work full time jobs and sale things on the side they are just being vindictive is all!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Meet with an experienced BK lawyer. He/she can review all of the debtors' schedules in their office, while they meet with you. The lawyer can explain all of your options. The lawyer will charge you their standard hourly rate for a one hour meeting, approximately $250.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 12/1/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Can you prove that they put cars, antiques and stuff in someone else's name or do you just suspect that they did? If you can prove it, you can probably prevent your debt from being discharged.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/30/2015
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
If you had ever filed bankruptcy, or if you had ever sat in a bankruptcy courtroom watching debtors, you would not be asking this question. It is easy to judge someone when you only see your own perspective.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/30/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Well, almost everyone whose claim is discharged in a BR feels abused by the debtor including myself sometimes. If you have specific knowledge of property which the debtors are hiding under some other person's name, NOTIFY THE BANKRUPTCY TRUSTEE AND ALSO THE UNITED STATES TRUSTEE of all the facts. They will probably carry the ball from there. But do be as certain as you can of the facts before you make the accusation. Mistaken accusations of crime can ruin a person's reputation and peace of mind. Good Luck
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 11/30/2015
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
Sounds like a plan.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/30/2015
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    If you have "evidence" of these things tell the trustee. Be prepared to tell the trustee "facts" that support your conclusions they have hidden assets. If you can prove that it won't go well for them.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/30/2015
    Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
    Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
    If you know of assets you should attend the Meeting of Creditors (341 meeting) and advise the Trustee. You can also file an Objection to Discharge if you know of asset transfers.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 11/30/2015
    Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
    You can contest the accuracy of what they are saying in terms of eligibility for BK. If they indeed are eligible, you are out of luck unless your debt was secured.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/30/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See an attorney with the details. You have right to protest their discharge and point out the fraud but it is very limited in time. Engage an attorney now or give it up.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/30/2015
    The Schreiber Law Firm
    The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
    If they own real or personal property or transfer property just prior to filing bankruptcy that is not disclosed in their bankruptcy petition papers, and there is evidence (not just a belief, but where it is, who it was transferred to, etc.) that can constitute bankruptcy fraud and you can contact the bankruptcy trustee for their case and provide them the evidence.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/27/2015
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Yes contact the trustee that has been assigned to their case.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 11/27/2015
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    You should contact the bankruptcy court for a copy of the bankruptcy paperwork they filed. They must report all property transfers in the past 2 years. If you know of something not reported, you should contact the trustee in their case and give her/him the information you have. They could go to prison for hiding assets or at the very least the trustee could get some money for creditors including you.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 11/27/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney