How can our child become a citizen? 3 Answers as of September 19, 2010

My child was born outside the United States where I am currently iving abroad with my wife. My wife is not a US citizen although she is a permanent resident. What process do I need to take to get citizenship for my child and will I be able to bring my daughter back to the US? Thank you in advance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Your child, upon demonstration via valid birth certificate of your childs birth and of your paternity, is immediately given derivative legal residency, and can accompany you to the U.S. Upon arrival you can immediately petition for naturalized citizenship. If you wish to discuss this further in a telephonic conference call, please e-mail or call to schedule that meeting.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/19/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Congratulations! The birth of your daughter should have already been reported to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the childs claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. You should be asked to complete a Consular Report of Birth (form FS-240); this is a basic United States citizenship document. A Certification of Report of Birth (form DS-1350) can be issued in multiple copies but cannot be obtained overseas. An immigration attorney should be able to assist your family in ensuring your daughters rights as a US citizen are protected.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/17/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Go to the embassy to see if your child is already a citizen. The embassy will issue citizenship recognition.

If child is not a citizen yet, you need to apply for his immigration (permanent resident status), and after he enters the US then he will automatically becomes a US citizen under Child Citizenship Act of 2000.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/16/2010
Click to View More Answers: