How can one file for residency if one is an illegal immigrant? 4 Answers as of April 13, 2015

I am an illegal immigrant but I’m married to a US citizen. Can I file for legal residency? Would it help to have a lawyer?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Significantly more information is needed in order to answer your questions. If, for example, you entered the U.S. lawfully and with inspection, but then overstayed your initial visa or otherwise violated its terms, you still may be able to adjust status in the U.S. as the spouse of a U.S. citizen. There really is no substitute for having an immigration attorney learn all of the relevant information about you, your immigration-related history, your spouse and your marriage in order to advise you about eligibilities, options and strategies. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/13/2015
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
It would definitely help to have a qualified immigration lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/13/2015
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
The process to legalize your status will depend upon how you entered the U.S., your immigration history, and whether you have a criminal record. In some cases you can gain permanent residence while in the U.S. either with or without a fine. In other cases you will need a waiver and will need to return to your country for a few days to get residency through the U.S. Consulate.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/13/2015
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You can file for residency and YES it will help to have a lawyer. By the way, it always helps to have a lawyer when you are dealing with legal matters, right?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/13/2015
Click to View More Answers: