How can a non violent felon own a firearm in Minnesota if the felony was in another state? 2 Answers as of December 20, 2011

I'm currently living in Minnesota now for 4 years and had a non violent felon from the state of Wisconsin from which I used to reside in. Do I have to do the petition or pardon in the state of Wisconsin? How can a non violent felon of forging a check from 2004 in Wisconsin and now lives in Minnesota for the past 4 years, own a firearm.

Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
There is a difference in Minnesota between having a right to possess a hunting firearm and having a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Your offense will not permanently bar the former but may be an impediment to the latter. If you were not convicted of a "crime of violence" as defined in Minn. Stat. Sec. 624.712 Subd. 5, your right to possess a firearm will be reinstated approximately 10 years after you are/were discharged from probation. A permit to carry a concealed weapon may, however, not be reinstated at any time. If you want to expunge the offense from your record, your attempt would take place in the court of conviction.
Shane Law Office
Shane Law Office | Robert J. Shane
You can file a petition in Minnesota district court to restore your right to possess a firearm.