How can my spouse come to the US? 3 Answers as of May 16, 2011

I am a us citizen i got married at Mexico 2 year ago but then i separated. i did not had money so I applied for the CALWORK program now my husband wants to get back with me can i do a petition for him? or i can't because of the calwork

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You can if you are still married. The important thing is that you be able to find another person who is willing to act as a joint-sponsor to your husband. This can be a relative or a friend. This is because the CALWORK matter will go to the issue of your husband becoming a public charge since you may not be able to support him financially for the required period. The thinking is: if you cannot provide for yourself, how are you expected to provide for a new immigrant? So, you need to handle that end of things. Still, you can go ahead and file for him now.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is that you can petition for him, but you will need to have others to help sponsor him financially. Your involvement with the CALWORK program will not eliminate your eligibility, but your husband must not attempt to apply for welfare in the USA once he has his legal residency. You will also have to demonstrate that your reconciliation was done for love, and not for his immigration visa. If you wish help of an attorney, feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail, to set up an appointment for a phone or in-person consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You are allowed to sponsor your husband for a green card, as long as he is not barred by any factors such as criminal, overstays in the US, etc. If you are on a California state means-tested benefit, you will probably need a joint sponsor for the affidavit of support requirement. That person must be a US citizen or green card holder and make over the poverty guidelines for his or her self, their dependents and your husband. If you do not have funds to hire an attorney, you may want to contact pro bono agencies like Catholic Charities or the local chapter of your state bar for the pro bono panel.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: