How can my sister who was born in the US help me obtain an American Citizenship? 8 Answers as of August 09, 2013

I just turned 18 and I want to study in the US. My dream is to become a citizen, as soon as possible.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales | Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales
Becoming a US citizen is no easy matter and, even in the best of situations, it is not a quick process. Too many unanswered questions to say what your options might be. But if you are NOT in the US, and have never accrued unlawful presence, your sister (if she is 21 or older) can petition for you, you will then go through consular processing in your home country and, if all goes well, you can get a visa (green card). This process will take many years. Another possibility is for your to apply to a college/university as a foreign student and enter the US with an F1 visa. Whether you are in the US or abroad, your sister should consult with an immigration attorney who can assess your situation and guide her accordingly.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 8/9/2013
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Your US citizen sister can file a petition for you in the F4 family category. [Brother or sister of a US citizen] But due to how long this process will take, I will advise you to consider other options. Here is why. Your US citizen sister cannot file any paperwork for you until she turns 21 years old. Once she is 21 years and files for you, the petition will take about 12 years to become current. So, in all, this will take about 15 years. When you get a green card 15 years hence, you then become eligible to file for US citizen after you have been a green card for 5 years. In all, you are looking at about 20 years. I believe that there are more viable options under US immigration law through which you may realize your objective in a much faster period of time. Evaluating your eligibility for any of these alternatives requires that I have more information than you have provided.As such, I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/9/2013
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
Your USC sister can file an I-130 visa petition for you, but you will not be able to apply for residence in the US for several years due to the backlog. The attached visa bulletin explains the backlog and you would be FB4 preference category.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/9/2013
Law Office of Bill Travis Klein
Law Office of Bill Travis Klein | Bill T. Klein
She can petition you as her sister but there may be other options available as well. Please consult with an Immigration Attorney who can walk you through the best options and help you with the legal paper work.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/9/2013
Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC
Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC | Shiv K. Kapoor
Would need more information, but in general if your sister is at least 21 she can petition for an immigrant visa for you. However, there is a long wait of at least 12 years to obtain a visa. In the short term, if you would like to study in the US, it may be better to look into getting an F1 student non-immigrant visa.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/9/2013
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    Your sister could petition for your to receive an immigrant visa, but the process will take many years. You could seek a student visa in the interim so you can start studying.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/9/2013
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    Your sister may file a family petition on your behalf but you will need to wait about 10-12 years to be able to come to the US using it.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/9/2013
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    She has to be at least 21 before she can file for you. Also, the law may change eliminating brother-sister petitions. Maybe you can get a student visa.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: