How can my mom get her citizenship if she does not speak English? 3 Answers as of June 10, 2011

How can my mom get her citizenship if she doesn't speak English and is disabled? She can't really work anymore and she has been working doing housekeeping for 8 years.

Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
She may be eligible for the exception to the English requirement depending on how long she has been in the U.S. and how old she is. Call me for a consultation.
The only exception to the English language requirement is if she has been a permanent resident for 15 years and is over age 55. If she has a medically confirmed disability that precludes her from learning English, then she may qualify for a waiver.
If she is over a certain age, there can be an exception for answering some of the questions. Also there are agencies that will help older people learn the application so they can pass!