How can my immigrant father get social security benefits? Posted on July 29, 2011

My father has been in the United States for around 40 years and he said that in Chicago at the social security office they issued him a social security number which he has. Also he has always had taxes taken out of his checks, filed income taxes, and able to draw unemployment when necessary. He has a Mexican birth certificate, no legal passport or work card. He is 66 years old and not able to draw social security. So I guess my question is if they took out on him all these years, why won't they let him draw? I am his daughter and would like to see him be able to relax instead of trying to stay busy all the time. He is getting older and does not have no way to earn money. Not many people will hire someone that old. He likes to work outside and carpentry work I guess holds him at a high risk due to his age. Please, any advice would be helpful. I really could see not helping him if he was trying to beat they system, but my dad never earned they money to send to Mexico he just tried to take care of his family here. Thank you for all your help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: