How can my husband get a green card if I am a green card holder? 5 Answers as of February 27, 2011

I am a green card holder. I want to bring my husband with me in the US. How much time will it take to get him a green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Yes you can petition for him but he will be in the FB-2a category which has a backlog of visas. As recently as last fall though this category was working on an August 2010 Priority Date (It is now back to January 2007) so definitely file an I-130 for him to get him in the queue and file for your own U.S. citizenship at the soonest date you are eligible (4 years and 9 months after your PR was granted assuming you meet the physical presence and other eligibility requirements).

You may also want to look at other nonimmigrant options while he is waiting in the queue. If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Assuming you were not married when you got your Green Card, you have to petition your husband. Your husband would fall into the 2A Family Preference category, and it will take 3 to 6 years for him to be eligible to apply for his Green Card. However, if you become a U.S. Citizen while his petition is pending or after it is approved, the process will be sped up and he could he would be eligible to apply for his Green Card once you are a citizen.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/7/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Probably, a long time, i.e., years, unless you first become a U.S. citizen before sponsoring him in order to speed the process up.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 2/6/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
if your question is about processing time, you can find answer on If your question is how to prove your relationship with your husband for the purpose of immigration, (noted, marriage certificate is not enough evidence for your marital relationship), more information is needed. You are welcome to contact us for consultation. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/6/2011
Javia & Moore
Javia & Moore | Marisa-Andrea Moore
How much time it will take depends upon a number of factors. Please consult with an immigration attorney for further assistance.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: