How can my husband become a US citizen? 6 Answers as of June 23, 2011

We just got married so I wanted to know how he could obtain citizenship with out being deported.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
providing he was admitted and inspected when entering the U.S. you as the u.S. citizen can petition for his adjustment of status by filing the I-130 nd I-485. I strongly urge you to use an Immigration Attorney to help file these papers.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/23/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If he came to the US without a visa then you want to file an I-130 petition for him and have that approved and sent to the National Visa Center for processing. The NVC will contact you to let you know that it is ready to be processed and eventually the NVC will send it to the appropriate consulate. He will have to go that consulate (with you) for his immigrant visa interview before coming back to the US. The most important part of all of this is that you will want to know his immigration history as well as his criminal history in order to prepare a good waiver for him to submit following the visa interview . . . if he qualifies for it. This is all in a nutshell, so please consult competent counsel to plan this whole thing out. If he came with a visa, then it should be a relatively easier process to get his green card. Still consult an attorney. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/21/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
You need to coordinate an appointment with an immigration lawyer to explore whether your husband is eligible for adjustment of status or consular processing.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/21/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If you are a USC, then you are able to file a green card for him. There are two options so the question is which is he eligible to use. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with a competent immigration attorney to evaluate his options. Items to discuss include: manner of entry, arrest/conviction record, immigration record, U visa issues and 245i. You also want the attorney to evaluate extreme hardship options if you are required to file a waiver. I am happy to schedule a consult if you are interested. My email is and my consult fee is $150. Otherwise I wish you the best of luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/21/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
Your options are going to be determined based on how your husband entered and if he has a visa, what type of visa. In order to give you an adequate answer, more details are needed. Feel free to contact me directly.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: