How can my husband become legal after he jumps hip in the US without his passport? 4 Answers as of January 26, 2011

He entered the US while their ship is anchored. Now what can he do to become legal? If ever he comes home to his home country will he be jailed? Or what if he was caught there in the US? Will he be jailed? What will happen to him? He's currently working now. Please help us. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
What type of visa did he come in on? There are restrictions on D-1 applicants adjusting status in the U.S. but if he has any other type of legal entry you could petition for him to obtain permanent residency while still in the U.S. If on D-1 he will need to process in his home country but still straightforward PROVIDED HE HAS NOT BEEN HERE TOO MUCH TIME WITHOUT STATUS.

Important to consult quickly on your options with your husband's immigration documents. You may contact me to schedule this as indicated below.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/26/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
He cannot get any legal status in the United States. Yes, he may be jailed. He needs a lawyer to help him arrange for voluntary departure. Maybe there were serious reasons for him to jump ship.

Some years ago, I negotiated with a ship's owner to send a seaman an air ticket home. It was much cheaper than paying for his seaman to stay in the US Immigration Detention. It's a practical solution. Immigration law applies to all fifty states.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/19/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
It depends on a couple of things, how long have you been married? Have you or anyone else ever petitioned for your husband? These are but a few factors to review in your case.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/18/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
If you are US citizen, his entering without inspection will be forgiven. If not, there is no fix. Sorry.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: