How can my father gain sole custody of his child? 3 Answers as of August 03, 2011

My father is currently having a problem with the mother of my step brother. They have been divorced for many years and have joint custody of the child. Now, she has decided to go for sole custody in the state of Florida. My step-brother is with my father 90% of the time in florida and only goes to see his mom on Holidays or summer vacations for about a week or so, and this is by her choice she lives in a different state. My father has already contacted the police stating she is refusing to return him as she is supposed to since her visiting period is over, and police can't do anything. He has requested a court order, and it has been declined, what can he do to fix this? The mother has neglected her son most of his life, and she wants to win sole custody mainly as a trophy. Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
He needs to talk with his divorce attorney or a Florida child custody lawyer about his options.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/3/2011
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
He needs to hire an attorney to assist him. Most likely, he needs to file a contempt action, or enforcement, or a modification or some combination thereof. He should immediately consult with an attorney in the county where he resides in order to discuss his available rights and options. If your existing or potential case is in or near the Central Florida area (Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Lake, Sumter, Marion, and nearby counties), I would be more than happy to speak with you. My office offers free initial telephone consultations, during which we can discuss your matter in more detail, as well as explore the potential rights and options available.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: