How can my child become a legal citizen? 6 Answers as of August 01, 2011

Looking for an immigration attorney with a soft spot for good kids. 17 yr old girl has been in US since 1 yr old. She's almost 17. Dad's been deported and mom's illegal. The kids wants to become legal so she can get a job and go to college. No clue where to start.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
Unfortunately, children brought here are currently under the same law as everyone else. This is why there is urgent need of the DREAM act. I would suggest calling your Senator and representative and urge passage of this act.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/1/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
From what you tell me the soft spot has to be sought with the law makers. The solution will be the famous "Dream Act" which the congress has failed to pass. You may want to contact your senators and representatives and urge them to have a "soft spot' and help hundreds of thousands if not millions of young and bright people to become productive and be able to study and work legally.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/30/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
There are many lawyers with a soft spot for people like your daughter, but that doesn't mean there is a way to become legal.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/28/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
If she was brought to the US illegally, she cannot adjust her status unless she is 245i protected(even marrying a US citizen will not save her). She will have to leave the US and apply for immigrant visa in her country of nationality. Due to her unlawful presence in the US, she will need waiver. Please consult immigration lawyer for advise.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2011
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
She could be a good candidate if the DREAM ACT is passed. Contact your state congressional office to support the DREAM ACT.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/27/2011
    Fong & Associates
    Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
    It's not a question of which attorney, but what she qualifies for under the immigration laws. All immigrants need to have a basis for the green card. As she is a minor, it will have to be family-based, as she isn't old enough to have the education or work experience for an employment-based petition. It will likely be based on the mother getting permanent residence, how they entered the US, and if a preference petition was filed for either parent prior to April 30, 2001.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 7/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: