How can my brother get the money transferred to me so I can roll it over and my husband who is 60 has a 401K? 1 Answers as of April 13, 2015

My mother recently passed away and she had a $10,000 death benefit with TRS (Teacher Retirement System). My brother was named the beneficiary. I paid for the funeral out of my own personal money with the understanding that when my brother received the death benefit, he would pay me back. We found out that because neither one of us are 59 1/2 that we will be penalized if we do not roll it over. Can we somehow put this money in his account so we won’t be penalized as much?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
Beneficiary designations cannot be changed posthumously
Answer Applies to: New Mexico
Replied: 4/13/2015
Click to View More Answers: