How can my boyfriend get his immigration papers fixed? 3 Answers as of May 23, 2011

We want to get married soon but how can we get married if he is an illegal immigrant? What do we have to do? How much will it cost? How long until fixed?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
How did your boyfriend enter? Did he ever try to regularize previously? The general law is if he entered legally, even if he violated his status, he can be petitioned under most circumstances by a U.S. citizen. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/23/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you are a USC or LPR then you can start by filing for his visa petition and waiting for it to be approved. Then it will be sent to his country of origin and you will wait for the visa to become available in order to begin processing. You will need to look at the visa bulletin that the US-DOS puts out: to find out how long it will take. This depends on many variables but I have reason to believe his is going to be either F1 or F2A category. Keep looking until it becomes available and go for it. If he can't go out of the country and he is younger than 30, then let's pray for the Dream Act to pass Congress. Then we talk some more. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/18/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
It depends on how he came to this country. If he crossed the border, there is nothing you can do.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: