How can a minor apply for a green card with immigration? 5 Answers as of July 19, 2011

I am currently a high school student. I am an outstanding student with no criminal records in school and outside of school, and I was wondering if that can be of any advantage for me to obtain a green card.

Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You cannot petition yourself for a green card. You need a qualifying family member who is a citizen or permanent resident to petition for you. There are obviously many benefits to having a green card if you can obtain one. If you were brought here as a child and will graduate high school, you likely would fall into the category referred to as dream children who may be eligible for legal status if the immigration laws change.
Unfortunately there are no visas for outstanding minor students, though I feel there should be. The obvious question will be: what about your parents' status? The truth is that at the rate that the much heralded reform is going, there may not be anything coming down the pike any time soon. But keep the faith, the next election is just around the corner in 2012, who knows what will happen prior to it? Sorry I cannot help but good luck!
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Well that depends on your intentions regarding your future here in the US. Are you here without lawful status.
Let's hope for the Dream Act to be passed by Congress. I suggest that people like yourself and family members should contact the representatives and senators and request their affirmative action on this act. Unfortunately, a lot of political poisoning by certain groups has deterred our law makers to accomplish this important issue which will have a great positive impact on our economy and will result in justice for individuals like yourself.
Your education and lack of criminal record does not help your immigration status. You need to find a basis for permanent residence, typically a US citizen relative, such as a spouse or parent.