How can Jail time for Felony family violence charge be avoided? 13 Answers as of May 07, 2013

1. My husband slapped me and I called the cops and he was arrested. They took pictures of my red cheek. 2. A week later my husband beat me up and left bruising, I called the cops and they arrested him. They took pictures of me there. A couple of days later, my husband has a felony charge and a misdemeanor because of this. What can be done to keep my husband from serving jail time?

Retain the right attorney AND get him into counseling.
You don't want him to serve time why? He keeps beating you up. You can talk to the judge about your wishes at sentencing.
Make sure he has the best criminal defense attorney you can afford.
It is no longer in your control, whether or not the case will go forward is in the hands of the prosecutor. It is apparent that you are willing to allow him to beat you, however the prosecutor may not agree that society should allow it as well.
He needs a good lawyer to help him avoid jail.
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    Your husband need to get a lawyer and you need to get some help.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Your husband should retain legal counsel to negotiate a reduction in charges. Your husband may need to get into an anger management program and psychological treatment. Your legal counsel will try to work out a deal with the prosecution that avoids jail but some jail time may be required.
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Hire a lawyer.
    He needs to hire a good lawyer. You don't want to press charges anymore won't do anything, because prosecutors aren't stupid.
    Why? It sounds like he needs to be in jail until he figures out that he can't slap you around. With those facts, I don't see the prosecutor or judge being at all lenient toward your husband. You need to contact and speak with a domestic violence victim advocate. You can get their contact information from any court or police department. Please do it. From what you say, it sounds like he is becoming increasingly violent toward you.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    There's no guarantee. Ultimately, sentencing depends on whether you're found guilty, your record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.