How can I withdraw a provisional patent application? 2 Answers as of March 02, 2011

How can I withdraw a provisional application I filed with the USPTO? I do not want to simply abandon it - I want to withdraw it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
You can file an express abandonment, but I do not know of any means to "withdraw" it or "expunge" it from the USPTO records. Please contact a patent attorney to discuss the details.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 3/2/2011
Michael M. Ahmadshahi
Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
You don't have to withdraw your provisional application as they are never examined by USPTO examiners. They simply remain there for one year after which it is, by default abandoned, unless a non-provisional application is filed. The content of the provisional application remains secret forever so you don't have to worry about it getting in the public domain.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: