How can I validate my divorce in the US? 6 Answers as of February 22, 2011

I married a Mexican citizen in the US about 12 years ago. I got a divorce in Mexico 2 yrs ago. How can I validate the divorce in the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Each state's law is different on this - in some cases the divorce itself will make the marriage valid. If that provision is not in the state's law you would need to get re-married but be sure to consult an immigration attorney before taking any action especially is your spouse obtained any immigration benefits (or will obtain immigration benefits through your marriage). We may also need an opinion of a family law attorney on the divorce subsequent to marriage. If the divorce in Mexico was legal in Mexico then it is recognized as legal here.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/22/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
If the divorce was obtained in full conformance with Mexican laws, it may be recognized by the courts of the United States.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 2/5/2011
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL | Donna Nanan
You should use your divorce decree as proof of your divorce. This document will be required for all filings with the US immigration authorities where proof of your marital status is required. Your Mexican divorce decree will be recognized in the US just as your Mexican marriage would have been recognized as valid, as long as you have a document that proves your marriage.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/4/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
A certified copy of your Mexican divorce decree, together with a certified translation, should be adequate for any US legal proceeding.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/3/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Your divorce is recognized in US. To prove your divorcee status, you need to have a certified divorce decree with translation. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: