How can I vacate an order of protection? 17 Answers as of September 24, 2012

I have recently placed an emergency order of protection on my boyfriend of three years. At this time, I am trying to vacate the order in Illinois because of emotional reasons all of this has caused us both. He is willing to seek help and this is the only time he has ever done this. I feel partially responsible for what happened.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
Seek the services of an attorney to file an appropriate motion to dissolve the order. Do not attempt to do this on your own. DO NOT violate the restraining order by having contact with one another.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 9/24/2012
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You have to go file a petition to dismiss the matter and the judge decides if it will be dismissed.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/12/2012
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
You may not be able to. It's the State's Attorney's decision at this point.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 9/12/2012
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
I am a New York lawyer and you should ask a lawyer in that state since there may be differences in the law. In New York the victim has no right to remove or alter an Order of Protection. The court makes the order to protect the victim of the assault or other crime and all you can do is to consult with the prosecutor to try to get a non-offensive order that allows you to see the person but prevents him from being offensive in any way.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/12/2012
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
An emergency order of protection is for a short period only, and you should appear in court on the assigned date and request that the judge deny the issuance of any further order of protection in this case.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/12/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney