How can I transfer my child custody case to another county? 6 Answers as of August 18, 2012

My ex husband and I were divorced in 2009 in Yolo County but our child custody was written "as to be determined by the parties" because we were on good terms. We no longer can co-parent without the court's interference and he has started a child custody order with Yolo County because I decided to keep my daughters from seeing him pending a CPS investigation involving my oldest daughter and his live-in girlfriend. We have also both relocated to Sacramento County. Furthermore he happens to work at the Yolo courthouse and is receiving free legal help every time he goes to work making it a definite conflict of interest. How do I get my case transferred to Sacramento County? I have asked the Yolo County family law facilitator and was treated rudely and turned away.

If both you and your ex-husband have moved your residences to Sacramento County, you should file a Motion to Change Venue in the Yolo County Superior Court. If you haven't had success with the Sacramento County Family Facilitator, try the Yolo County Family Facilitator, or seek the assistance of a private lawyer. You would best retain a Yolo County Family Law Attorney to handle the Motion to Change Venue aspect of your case on a Limited Scope Representation basis.
The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
You would need to file a motion for change of venue in the first county.
Attorney At Law | Harry D. Roth
My experience with the Yolo County facilitator is quite different. You may have been there on a very difficult day, but my guess is that your conduct had a little bit to do with it. You may want to try again. Regardless, what you want to do is to move the court for a change of venue. If you both live in Sacramento County, then by rights the case should be there. But the time it would take to transfer the case and then reschedule the hearing in Sacramento would slow things down a lot. My best educated guess is that the judge will say something to the effect of sure, we will transfer the case, as soon as we deal with this issue right in front of us. Woodland and Sacramento are not so far apart that there is a huge inconvenience for you. As far as your ex getting free help, that is not a reason to change courthouses. The judge does not know him personally. If the judge does know him personally, another judge will be found. Your reasons for wanting to keep him away sound as though they are substantial and you should go into court with an open mind. Be sure to file responsive papers before the court date.
You can file a request for a transfer. You can do this on your own, with a paralegal, or you can hire an attorney.
Yes, you can file a motion requesting a change of venue.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You must file a motion in Yolo to ask the judge to transfer the case to Sacramento.