How can I transfer a DUI case to another state? 11 Answers as of January 10, 2014

I have been evicted from apartment. Any family I have lives in a different state. I have no friends to stay with due to having a dog. I also have no money to get a different place hence the eviction. Will they transfer my case due to this hardship?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
O'Leary Associates, P.A.
O'Leary Associates, P.A. | John A. O'Leary
No jurisdiction in other state. Recommend resolving DUI ASAP and move.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 1/10/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
No. Criminal cases, even DUIs stay in the state where you were charged.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/8/2014
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You can't. They absolutely won't let it happen.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/8/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
The first question is this. Have you plead or been found guilty? Probation can sometimes be transferred. If you are awaiting trial, that can't be transferred.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/8/2014
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
No. Because the crime was not committed in another state. No other state has jurisdiction.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/8/2014
    Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
    Unfortunately, no. Your case will be heard in the county where it occurred, a private lawyer can appear on your behalf but otherwise you must appear or a warrant will be issued if you, or a lawyer, do not appear at your arraignment.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Doubtful, but perhaps they would speed the process due to your circumstances.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    A DUI sentence may be transferred, but a DUI charge must be handled where it occurred.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    No. A DUI is a State level criminal offense. The probation may be transferred, the classes or programs may be done somewhere else, but the actual charges cannot be transferred to another state.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    If you are placed on probation they could transfer your probation to the other state providing that they are willing to accept you. Or, they could keep you on probation and have you report in a different way such as by phone. You can compete the requirements of your probation anywhere, it's just a matter of how you report. Discuss it with your probation officer.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    If you have already been sentenced for the DUI, and you want to transfer your Probation to the new state, call your Probation Officer and ask about their Court's particular procedures for transferring the case to the new state. You may want to also call the applicable Court of the new state where you are moving to, and ask if they accept out-of-state probation transfers.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/8/2014
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!