How can I terminate my parental rights over my child? 23 Answers as of September 13, 2012

I am about to be homeless and I do not have a job and my health is bad. My living situation is bad and I need to place my child in a home that will take care of his needs. I have no family or friends that can help me out.

Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
call DFACS
First of all where is the other parent? But with that being said I would advise you to contact your state department of children and families , they will get you through this.
Barbara Fontaine, Esquire | Barbara Fontaine
I think you should get hold of Social Services in your state and ask for help. They can take temporary custody and help the child until you get back on your feet and maybe can help you, too. If your child is school age, the guidance department or the principal of the school may be able to know the best way to help. Try to stay in touch with your child, even if you cannot support him or her. Show that you care.
Rebecca Rainwater
Rebecca Rainwater | Rebecca Rainwater
You should contact Child Protective Services about voluntarily placing the child into foster care.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You should try a homeless shelter. Maybe there are some community resources, but I do not know, try the redcross.
    Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
    Only by adoption
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    You can not just terminate your parental rights. If you are unable to care for the child, go to DSHS or CPS or a private foster care agency and explain your situation and ask them to find foster care for your child. You did not say anything about the other parent, but that person, if he or she is a responsible adult, obviously would have the first right to care for the child.
    See your local department of social services, explain your situation, seek assistance and, if necessary, offer the child for adoption. By the way, where is the other parent, he/she also has rights and responsibilities.
    Swann-Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC
    Swann-Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC | Elizabeth Swann
    You can go to family court and file what is called a dependent petition. This will create a "dependency" case wherein the child can be taken into custody by DHR. At that time DHR will look for relatives to place the child with or put the child in foster care.
    You can't simply walk away from your legal obligations as a parent except as part of an adoption by someone else.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    Termination of parental rights can be accomplished by filling out some forms and filing them with the Family Court. You will need the consent of the other parent. Forms can be obtained online or at the Family Court.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    You could place your child for adoption through an adoption agency. This would be preferrable to having Child Protective Services take your child.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    I am sorry about your situation. Contact CPS hotline or Salvation Army. There are many resources out there.
    Pingelton Law Firm | Dan Pingelton
    You can't. If a step-parent adopts your child, then your rights would be terminated, if you consented.
    In Washington, you can find someone to adopt the child and take over your responsibilities. Being a parent is about a lot more than financial support. You can still parent, with no money, if you want to.
    You don't want to terminate your parental rights. First, you may qualify for financial assistance to help you obtain housing and food for yourself and your child. Second, if necessary, a temporary placement in foster care will provide a safe and stable environment for your child while you get back on your feet. Termination of parental rights should be the last option pursued, not the first.
    Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC | Michael Dungan
    In Michigan, you would not be able to terminate your parental rights, but you should contact the Department of Human Services, Child Protective Services, let them know the situation, they should be able to make a foster care placement. They will also provide you with services and assistance which may be very helpful to your current problems.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    You need to contact an adoption agency.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Get help from a church.
    Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,.
    Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,. | Jason P. Kutulakis
    Call your local county child welfare agency. They will assure that your child's needs are met. They may also be able to assist with housing!
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    Contact Child Protective Services and explain your situation. Tell them you need to surrender your child for temporary placement into a foster home until you get back on your feet. You do not say how old your child is. If you genuinely wish to terminate parental rights, you can do that, but both parents will have to relinquish parental rights before your child can be adopted.