How can I terminate child custody visitation rights? 1 Answers as of May 10, 2011

Is it too late to have my son's fathers rights terminated? My son is 4 yrs old and his father has not been in his life. January 7, 2011 was his first time seeing my son in two years. He is married and do not want to provide me with a correct address and do not want me to call if I allow him to take my son with him. He has numerous domestic violent charges on him from me and an CPS case was filed on him. He has now filed to put himself on child support this month so is it too late to have his rights terminated? If not please help me or advice me on what I need to do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
It is never too late to request a termination, however, it is not something that is easy to get. In fact, according to your question, he may have abandoned the child for 2 years, but when he returned in January, that started a new clock.

The grounds for termination are exact. You have to fit squarely within one or more conditions and there is no alternatives, either you meet the rule or you do not. Even if you do fit within the legal standard for termination, your wants or desires are not important to the decision of the court, it has to be that he meets one of the termination standards AND termination is in the child's best interest. This latter part is almost impossible standard to surpass, plus the evidence used must rise to the standard of Clear and Convincing Evidence. Think about it this way, how much evidence would you want the court to require before he could terminate your rights?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: