How can I tell if my son is married? 3 Answers as of April 11, 2011

My son went to California, was drunk, and was told that he got married for $25. How can I confirm if they really are legally married? If they are married, can it be annulled or does he need to get a divorce?

Your son should ask the person who told him that he got married for all the information that person has about the marriage, where it took place, who performed it, who his wife is, and obtain contact information for every person who has any information about the alleged marriage. If your son knows or locates his "wife", he should ask her if they got married, and if she responds in the affirmative, he should ask herfor a copy of the marriage license, and a copy of the marriage certificate. He should ask her who performed the marriage, and get that person's name, address, phone number and other contact information. He should contact the person who allegedly performed the marrage ceremony. He may be able to obtain a copy of the marriage license from the county in which he was allegedly married, if he can determine what county that was in. Annulments are difficult to obtain, and your question contains no information that would lead me to believe that your son could obtain an annulment. Your son could file for both an Annulment and a Dissolution of his marriage, so that if he isn't granted anAnnulment in the case, he can then proceed to get a Dissolution of his marriage.
Marriage certificates are public record. Check with the County Recorder where he allegedly got married. An annulment is possible. If it is my area, contact me for a free consultation.