How can I take my name off of birth certificate? 7 Answers as of December 04, 2012

I just need to find out the laws and how to take my name off the birth certificate even though I am not the father of the child. Please help thank you!

Law Offices of Ward F. McDonough, Jr. | Ward F. McDonough, Jr.
Start a Paternity Action in Circuit Court. Filing Fee $150.00 and you likely will have to go through DNA testing. If you are deemed not the father, the Court can have your name removed.
Sapiro Gottlieb & Kroll | Lawrence Kroll
Request a paternity test.
You need to contact the government agency for vital statistics that issued the birth certificate to find out if there are simple, administrative procedures to issue a new birth certificate. Not all states follow the same rules, but no state will allow you to do it with the mothers' agreement. In all probability you will have to get a judicial determination that you are NOT the father, based on DNA tests, and a court order directing the agency to issue a new birth certificate. Depending on how, and how long it has been since the child was born, you may find that it is too late to challenge because (at least in Colorado) your name could not have been put on the birth certificate without your agreement that you were the father (unless the child was born while you were married). You need to consult a lawyer who can review all the important facts and history and then explains your options.
You can't unless the natural father agrees to have his named added inlace of yours.
Woods, May & Matlock, PC
Woods, May & Matlock, PC | Robert J. Matlock
There is a procedure to challenge whether you are the father of the child by asking for DNA testing. However, there is a limited time in which to do that. I suggest you hire a lawyer.
    Woolley Wilson, LLP
    Woolley Wilson, LLP | William R. Wilson
    You will need to contest paternity by filing suit and meeting the necessary requirements.
    File a request for an amended birth certificate with the state agency that issues them. They may want proof or justification for the change (a court order is excellent for this) and there is usually a fee though it is nominal - $15 here in Texas.