How can I take my name off of birth certificate? 7 Answers as of December 04, 2012

I just need to find out the laws and how to take my name off the birth certificate even though I am not the father of the child. Please help thank you!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ward F. McDonough, Jr. | Ward F. McDonough, Jr.
Start a Paternity Action in Circuit Court. Filing Fee $150.00 and you likely will have to go through DNA testing. If you are deemed not the father, the Court can have your name removed.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/4/2012
Sapiro Gottlieb & Kroll | Lawrence Kroll
Request a paternity test.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 12/4/2012
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
You need to contact the government agency for vital statistics that issued the birth certificate to find out if there are simple, administrative procedures to issue a new birth certificate. Not all states follow the same rules, but no state will allow you to do it with the mothers' agreement. In all probability you will have to get a judicial determination that you are NOT the father, based on DNA tests, and a court order directing the agency to issue a new birth certificate. Depending on how, and how long it has been since the child was born, you may find that it is too late to challenge because (at least in Colorado) your name could not have been put on the birth certificate without your agreement that you were the father (unless the child was born while you were married). You need to consult a lawyer who can review all the important facts and history and then explains your options.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 12/2/2012
John Russo | John Russo
You can't unless the natural father agrees to have his named added inlace of yours.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 12/2/2012
Woods, May & Matlock, PC
Woods, May & Matlock, PC | Robert J. Matlock
There is a procedure to challenge whether you are the father of the child by asking for DNA testing. However, there is a limited time in which to do that. I suggest you hire a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/2/2012
    Woolley Wilson, LLP
    Woolley Wilson, LLP | William R. Wilson
    You will need to contest paternity by filing suit and meeting the necessary requirements.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
    Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
    File a request for an amended birth certificate with the state agency that issues them. They may want proof or justification for the change (a court order is excellent for this) and there is usually a fee though it is nominal - $15 here in Texas.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 12/2/2012
Click to View More Answers: