How can I take care of a probation violation warrant for nonpayment if I have no income? 2 Answers as of May 20, 2011

I was informed by a sheriff's deputy about a year ago that I had an active warrant for violation of probation (nonpayment/failure to report). I was not arrested but told he would contact my PO then call me to turn myself in if I was in fact wanted. I never heard anything from the deputy or the PO after that. I am unemployed on welfare with 5 kids. I just earned an associate degree in accounting and currently seeking employment. This situation is hindering my job search, and lack of a job is hindering resolvement of this issue. What are my options?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael Moody
Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
Deal with it ASAP. If a probation is unable to pay based upon financial hardship, rarely will the court revoke probation. However, if you just stop paying and stop communicating with your Probation Officer, then the Officer has no choice but to have you arrested. If someone is sentenced to 12 months on probation, the sentence is really 12 months in jail, but we'll allow you the privilege of serving the sentence on probation so long as you prove yourself. Don't wait. The longer you do, the worse it will be. Please hire an attorney to intercede for you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/20/2011
Goolsby Law Office
Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
You will need to promptly address this matter. And you should talk with family and friends to help you pay whatever you owe, along with retaining a criminal lawyer to help you. Times are tough for a lot of people. Good luck to you!
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: