How can I sue someone for invasion of privacy if they took inappropriate pictures of me without my knowledge? 52 Answers as of June 28, 2013

If someone took half-nude pictures of me with a hidden camera, how can I get them for invasion of privacy? I have copies of the pictures and website he made; I need to know what to do.

Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.
Austin Hirschhorn, P.C. | Austin Hirschhorn
The legal issue involved would hinge more on the publication of the unauthorized photos on a website and the damage that the publication has caused to you than on the taking of the photos.

I don't believe that there is a crime involved in what occurred to you. The cause of action you would have would be a civil action for invasion of privacy.

If you could establish that there were many visits to the website and that your reputation in the community was damaged by the conduct of the person who took the photos publishing those photos on a website you could possibly win a sizable judgment if you filed a court case and were prepared to go to trial if necessary and if you could personally handle all the publicity that might flow from you filing such a case and the newspapers or news agencies becoming aware of the case and publishing news reports.

The other problem you would be facing if you won such a case is whether the defendant would be collectable. Since the conduct was intentional it is unlikely that there would be any kind of insurance that would pay your damages and you would have to look to the perpetrator for recovery.

The final problem you might have is finding an attorney willing to handle such a case. I doubt if there are any attorneys who would want to take on a case like this on a contingency basis and you would have to sign an engagement letter agreeing to pay the litigation costs which could be quite large.
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
You can seek legal representation in the yellow pages or on the internet.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
You can file a complaint with the police.
Contact the local law enforce authorities and turn all of the evidence over to them for investigation and sign a complaint. This person should be arrested and after conviction you would have a pretty good lawsuit.
Contact the appropriate law enforcement agency in your area and make a report, they will forward the report to the prosecutor in the area for determination of whether criminal charges are able to be filed.
    Go to the police and report the incident.
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
    You may have a cause of action for civil as well as criminal charges being filed. Start with the local authorities to see if they will pursue the criminal action and talk to a local attorney to determine if the civil action is going to dollar cost effective. Going through a civil trial to get an award of damages is useless unless there is a good chance of collecting on the judgement.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    Yes, you can sue him.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    What is your objective? Do you want to sue for money damages? I don't think you're going to get much unless there's more to the story than you've indicated. Do you just want the person to stop and/or not disseminate the pictures? Either way, you're going to be far better off retaining a lawyer to handle it. If you want this to be a do-it-yourself project, then you need to hit the law library and start studying civil procedure.
    Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G Humphrey
    If they took the picture in Wyoming, they could be guilty of the crime of felony voyeurism. You could sue them for invasion of privacy or another claim. You could have multiple claims. You have to have damages.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming
    See a prosecuting attorney in your area, and see an attorney who practices civil lawsuits if you are interested in getting some money out of this guy.
    You can report him to the police but to find out about suing him you need a civil lawyer. If you need a civil lawyer and don't know one let me know what city you are in as perhaps I can help you find a good one. You definitely should have him arrested as it will be a big boost in your civil case.
    To begin with, file a complaint with the local police department giving them all the information you have. Then contact an attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your your.

He/she would then be in a better position to analyze you case and advise you of your options.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    You can see for any damages you sustained as a result of the invasion of privacy. You will have to be specific as to the damages. Depending on how they obtained the ability to take the photographs of you, you might want to consider calling the police.
    It is a criminal matter and should be reported to law enforcement.
    If you were in public it may not be illegal, but if it was taken secretly and you were in a private area you may be able to have him arrested. You may also be able to sue him if he has any money to pay damages.
    Law Office of Jason D. Baltz | Jason Daniel Baltz
    I am so sorry that your privacy was invaded and, then, posted on the internet. One avenue for you to take is to file a police report. Should the district attorney's office decide to prosecute, it appears as though they have a clear cut case of invasion of privacy. Another avenue for you to take is to sue that individual and their homeowner's insurance company in a civil court of law.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    You certainly may have a claim against the person who took the pictures. The real questions becomes is the person able to pay a judgment if you were to prevail at the end of a trial. If the answer is no, then filing a lawsuit would cost you a lot of time and money for which there would be no return. You should consult with an attorney who could review the facts and determine if a lawsuit is a viable alternative.
    Under the facts as stated in your question the person can be charged in California with a violation of Penal Code section 647(j) (3) (A) which is a misdemeanor. PC 647(j)(3)(A) Any person who uses a concealed camcorder, motion picture camera, or photographic camera of any type, to secretly videotape, film, photograph, or record by electronic means, another, identifiable person who may be in a state of full or partial undress, for the purpose of viewing the body of, or the undergarments worn by, that other person, without the consent or knowledge of that other person, in the interior of a bedroom, bathroom, changing room, fitting room, dressing room, or tanning booth, or the interior of any other area in which that other person has a reasonable expectation of privacy, with the intent to invade the privacy of that other person. (B) Neither of the following is a defense to the crime specified in this paragraph: (i) The defendant was a cohabitant, landlord, tenant, co-tenant, employer, employee, or business partner or associate of the victim, or an agent of any of these. (ii) The victim was not in a state of full or partial undress. The person if convicted would face up to a year in the county jail and/or a fine. They would also have to pay restriction and remove the photos from his website and destroy all copies he has. However, with this on the internet you can never get rid of all the copies. See your local police department or your local DA's office to report this.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    That is also a crime - you could report it to the local police and/or DA you can contact a personal injury attorney to discuss the civil suit, but the question is whether this guy has any money.
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    JUST SUE 'EM. You have to PROVE your case. Do you know they have photos? Do you have witnesses try ALSO filing a POLICE REPORT as there are statutes against this stuff.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    Report the incident to the authorities. I believe all jurisdictions have laws against the conduct you describe.
    Salladay Law Office | Lance Salladay
    Report the matter to the police. This is a criminal act and the person can be prosecuted.
    Suing him for invasion of privacy will cost you a lot of money in attorney fees. If you want to punish him it is easier just to send your evidence to the local prosecutor, who will presumably charge him with a criminal offense.
    T.K. Byrne | Timothy K. Byrne
    Contact your local police or sheriffs department.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    Call the police and make a report. Then the police will investigate and get charges pressed through the DA.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    This person can probably be prosecuted criminally as well as civilly. I would first go to the police with the evidence you have. After that, I would contact a lawyer who handles civil litigation.
    Call the police and file a report. This person may have committed a crime.
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith | Mark L. Smith
    Go to the police and have the person charged with video voyeurism.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    The person may have committed a criminal offense by taking the photos so you can report that person to the police. As for suing the person you may have a good claim against them but also need to be able to collect on any judgment received so you need to know if they have any money or assets to get if you win a case. Call a good personal injury attorney in your area.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Report this to the police department in the jurisdiction where this happened. It's a criminal offense.
    How can I sue? By filing a lawsuit. To win, you have to prove someone violated your right to privacy, you did not consent, that the pictures have been made public, that you are damaged. Sounds like you have that, so far so good. If you can demonstrate that you have a case with MERIT [provable case with a likelihood of winning], VALUE [substantial provable damages] and COLLECTABILITY [defendant with substantial assets or insurance], then you would have proper grounds to bring your legal claims in a lawsuit.
    You need to make an appointment with an attorney whom you would need to retain to evaluate the evidence and the possible recovery from a lawsuit. This also might constitute a crime to be reported to the police. The attorney could advise you on that alternative as well.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You cannot do this sort of suit by yourself. You need to hire an attorney, and it will not be cheap. Each case is different and each case demands the individualized attention of an attorney.
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    That would be a crime. Call the police.
    Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Gary A. Russell
    If you wish to proceed with a potential criminal charge, you need to report the incident to your local law enforcement agency or prosecutor. However, since you asked how you can "sue" someone for invasion of privacy, it sounds as if you are looking to pursue civil litigation. A civil cause of action must be plead appropriately and within the court rules and procedures, or else it faces dismissal without even a determination of the facts at issue. You should consult an attorney so that the specifics can be explained in order to better advise you regarding your possibility of a civil cause of action.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
    Start by reporting that to the police to arrest him.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    Report the matter to the police department where you were when the photos were taken. Expect that, if the authorities agree to charge him with a crime, that you will be going to court and the photos will be at least partially public (definitely the judge and attorneys are likely to see them).
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You would have to file a lawsuit for invasion of privacy. If he has some property then you could sue for money. The only real question is if he actually have substantial property, otherwise you could get a judgment that you could hang on your wall but not would not be worth the paper it is printed on unless he gets something in the future. You can and probably should report this to your local police department. He could be sent to jail and maybe he won't do it again.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    You need to go to the local District Attorney and file charges.
    Bruce Plesser | Bruce Plesser
    You should call the police.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney