How can I stop the police from harassing me and my family? 30 Answers as of June 11, 2013

The father of my child has an arrest warrant, I haven't had any dealing with him since his last arrest in 2008. The police keep harassing me and my family. What can I do?

You cannot prevent the police from contracting you, but you can retain an attorney and ask the police to talk to your attorney and not answer their questions or their phone calls.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
If it's a particular police officer, there should be administrative disciplinary process that handles complaints about officer conduct. Further, in some instances, police harassment may ultimately be a civil rights issue and potential civil claim. I'd recommend you retain an attorney to assist you with this matter, preferably one with experience regarding civil rights and police misconduct cases.
Furlong & Drewniak PLLC
Furlong & Drewniak PLLC | Thaddeus Furlong, Esq.
Complaints of police harassment should be made in writing to the chief o police or sheriff or head of the law enforcement agency that you believe is unfairly bothering you.
Write a letter to the Department's Administrative Office and inform them that you have no connection with the guy and ask them to leave you in peace. If that doesn't work, talk to a civil rights attorney about suing the officers for harassment.
Jon M. Carter, Attorney at Law | Jon M. Carter
The short answer is : very little, until he is caught or surrenders. He will eventually be caught. If he contacts you in any way, you Must refuse to have any further contact with him. He should get an attorney and a bail bondsman and have the attorney contact law enforcement and arrange an appointment to surrender him at a specific day & time. This will prevent possible injury to him when law enforcement captures him. Under no circumstances can you allow him in your home. You can then be charged with Harboring a Fugitive or lesser charges of resisting an officer or obstructing an officer. It is standard procedure for law enforcement to closely watch family and friends of fugitives. That's how they're most often captured. And as they frequently contact family & friends for help as they hide, law enforcement expects he will try to make contact with you - or want to see his child. The best action ( if any ) you can take in this situation may be to make a very polite and respectful call or visit to your local sheriff and district attorney and advise them of your concern AND your awareness of the potential for criminal charges against you if you assist the fugitive in any way. You might assure them that you will immediately inform them if he contacts you in any way. You might also contact DHS and open a child support case against him if you haven't done so already. There is no cost to you for that child support enforcement.
    The police obviously do not believe you when you tell them you do not know where this person is. You might consider filing a restraining order against the police officer if you feel they are harassing you.
    By avoiding contact with police or moving out of area. They will continue to seek your ex until they find him. IF you could convince them of your integrity and that you really dont have contact with him, they would stop contacting you.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Hire a lawyer.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    It depends on what you want to do. If you want to cooperate, cooperate. If you want them to stop contacting you tell them to contact your attorney if they want further information.
    I do not have nearly enough information to answer your question. Police do not generally harass people just for the heck of it. I suspect that there may be some other issue. Consult with an attorney.
    You can file a formal complaint with the police chief or supervising officer of the department.
    You can go to the police department and tell the lieutenant about the situation or go to the court and have them make a court order for the police to stop.
    The Law Offices of Wesley R. Sklark | Wesley R. Sklark
    Try hiring an attorney to act as a go-between for you in communicating with the police. This will create a buffer where the police dept that is hassling you will then be going though your attorney when it wants something from you.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    Unfortunately, it is not considered "harassment" (at least not from the legal perspective) when the police are trying to catch a fugitive. You should note 2 important things: (1) you do not have to speak to the police, and (2) if he does call you his call may be recorded which means that you could be implicated and charged in the future. If he does call you, just tell him that he should turn himself in to avoid further problems. If you choose to cooperate with the police, then you should be completely honestly to avoid any legal troubles. If you are somehow involved in his fugitive status (i.e. giving him money) then contact an experienced criminal defense attorney and hire them. Refer the police to your attorney if they continue to call.
    I take it they are looking for him. Is there a warrant out for non-payment of child support for your child? If so get a copy to show them that you would like to know where he is also.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    Hire an attorney and have him speak to the police.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    If you have made it clear to the police that you do not have any contact with him or knowledge of where he is, and they keep harassing you, you should file a complaint. If it is the same specific officer, call and ask to speak with his Supervisor. If it is with multiple officers, contact the Internal Affairs division of the specific police department.
    It is hard to get police to stop harassing someone as you have found out. The best advice I can give is to be polite and tell them that you don't wish to speak with them. If you want to come in and search just tell them you do not consent to search.
    What do you mean by harassing? Exactly what is it that they are doing? Tell them to stop contacting you. Remember, you can always refuse to talk to the police. If it persists, report the officers to their superior and make a complaint.
    File a paper complaint at the police department. That is the first step.
    What do you mean by harassing? Do they just drop by from time to time to see if he is there or is almost to daily. The former probably not much. Cops have a right to go where they reasonably think suspect may be. If the latter, you probably cannot get a restraining order because cops do have a right to look. By "look" , I mean stop and ask. They do not have a right to force their way in and look around. Make them get a search warrant for that. I have not done family law in awhile, but if the Dad has not seen kids and is not providing support, maybe you can terminate his rights to kids. The cops then would have no reason to bother you or your family. Terminating the rights of father may have an effect on assistance if you are on aid. If the cops are showing up and forcing their way into your and your parents'/families' residences without a warrant, you might also want to contemplate a civil suit.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    What do you mean by "harassing?" Knocking on your door and asking you? If so, then you are probably not going to get relief because that is not harassment. If you have a complaint, you can file the complaint with the internal affairs department of the police department which is bothering you.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    I assume you mean that theplice are contacting you looking for this individual. You cannot prevent the police from looking for him. If you feel you are being harassed, file a complaint with the law enforcment agency involved.