How can I stop my wife from leaving with child custody of my son? 1 Answers as of January 05, 2011

My wife and I are getting a divorce and I live in Oregon and we have two children. My son is 8 and special needs and my daughter is 11. The plan is for her to stay with me for now. She is planning on leaving on Sat. (8th) and moving to St. George, Utah area which is 1200 miles away. How can I prevent her from leaving with him? I know that a court order can do it and how do I go about doing it if I don't have the money for attorney fees. Please help me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
In Oregon, once a dissolution (divorce) case is filed, there is usually a prohibition on the parents that they may not move the child more than 60 miles away without notifying the other parent. If you are seeking a court order prohibiting your spouse from moving with the children, it would be best advised that you find the family law court clerk at your county courthouse and explain the urgency of the situation and ask if the matter can be heard by the judge as soon as possible. The Oregon State Bar also has attorneys who work at a reduced rate who may be able to help as well.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 1/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: