How can I stop her from getting an abortion? 15 Answers as of July 10, 2013

My son got a girl pregnant they are both of age he wants to keep it. She does not. Does he have any rights? Is there any way he can stop her in having an abortion if he wants to keep it? He told her if she did not want it to sign over her right to it.

Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
You cannot stop someone from getting an abortion. The laws in our country are very clear that the right to terminate a pregnancy is solely a woman's choice. If the mother chooses to have the child, then your son will have rights, until then the woman has the right to choose whether or not to terminate a pregnancy.
Legally your son cannot prevent her from exercising her constitutional right to obtain an abortion. If she decides to keep the child, he can initiate a paternity case to be determined the child's legal father and to obtain specific parenting responsibilities.
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
Unfortunately, he cannot. It is her body and therefore, her choice. If she does decide to keep it, and wants to put it up for adoption, he had the right to stop the adoption and raise the child on his own without her.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
If the mother is an adult and has decided on having an abortion, then, she is going to have one. There is nothing the father can do to stop it.
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
Get a lawyer to get an injunction against the abortion.
    As far as I am aware, neither you nor your son has any legal control over this situation as described and, consequently, the answer must be no.
    Gentle efforts of persuasion would be the only possible way. He can't compel her to have the child. We live in a pro-choice society. She has the right to abort the fetus from her body.
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    This is a decision you son will not have a choice in.
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    There is no way he can stop it. The right of a woman to have an abortion is hers to decide.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Current constitutional law accords no rights to a spouse of a man who wants an abortion. An unmarried man has even less call to assert dominion over his pregnant girlfriend. I suggest you contact the local Catholic Archdiocese for information and aid. This may yet be a legal issue, but it starts as a moral one.
    I am afraid that the answer is not a happy one. You cannot prevent an expectant mother from having an abortion. Under law, it is considered her body and her choice.