How can I stop harassment from a collection agency? 1 Answers as of August 21, 2011

My deceased mother cosigned 2 student loans for her grandson. The grandson did live with my mother and I for a time but has not lived in my house for at least 5 years. I continue to get collection phone calls for him even though the company has been told numerous time he no longer lives there. In addition, I continue to receive collection letters for my mom even though they have been notified of her death. Is there anything I can do to stop this harassment?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
You should not only tell the collectors that he is not living there but write a letter stating so. You do not have to provide any information regarding his where abouts. Also, in the collectors may be violationg your rights by this continuing harassment. I would put them on notice that they are doing so and if that doesn't work file a claim against them. You are protected under state and federal law from this harassment.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: