How can I start a business in the US while here working on a visa? 4 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I am a Spanish girl working with h1b visa. I am looking for creating my own business, a wine store. The budget I will need is around $40,000 and I will put $30,000 and ask for a line of credit. I have some questions like I need an address?? because i don't want to sign a leasing and later don't being qualify for the visa? Should I start with the licenses? How long take to obtain it? How much it cost?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
This is a complicated question that will need personal consultation. If you are thinking about E-2 visa, $30,000 might be considered marginal if your business requires additional funds. Also be aware, H-1B visa does not give you ability to work for yourself.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/19/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
contact my office for a free consultation to discuss further.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/19/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
The E-2 visa is a great start for you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/4/2013
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Are you asking about the E-2 treaty investor visa? If so, yes, you need a lease and actually to have invested a substantial sum of money. $30,000 may not be deemed a substantial amount as it will be compared to the start-up costs of similar business operations. Licensing is a state issue and not related to immigration.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: