How Can I See What Other People can Access on My California DOJ Criminal Record? 4 Answers as of August 04, 2011

I have committed two misdemeanors over the past 20 Years and am thinking about going to Canada so I wanted to see what was on my CA DOJ criminal record sheet. The misdemeanor from five years ago was on the record when I ordered it, but the wet reckless from 18 Yeats ago PR so wasn't on the record I received. Does this mean others can't see it?? Will the Canadian immigration be able to see it?? I'm confused as to who sees the wet reckless when they review my record. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2011
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux
Law Offices of Scott Tibbedeaux | Scott Tibbedeaux
Yes, if they are an authorized agency. The access to criminal history summary records maintained by the DOJ is restricted by law to legitimate law enforcement purposes and authorized agencies. You can request a copy of your own criminal history record. You can look under the "State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General" and inquire under "Request Your Own Criminal Records."
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/3/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Records are forever. Anyone with access sees your entire record, whatever it may contain. That includes all law enforcement, plus employers, landlords, lenders, and credit agencies given authority by you to look, and PIs with access despite the rules. Your record may be missing items because of court negligence in submission. It happens. However, you can consider getting the conviction expunged; which would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Many convictions can be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no felony prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain listed Sexual and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does not clear, 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction. If youre serious about doing this, and you think you qualify under those rules, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/31/2011
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
The Canadians will see it. They are very good at catching anything that evens smells of DUI. In fact, if you simply lose a DUI/DMV hearing, which is just a civil matter in the US, the Canadians will find out. A wet reckless is alcohol-related, so it is enough for them to bar you from entry.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/31/2011
Click to View More Answers: