How can I seal my record? 3 Answers as of May 25, 2011

I have a record and I want to get it sealed. It was less than a misdemeanor, I’m sorry I’m unsure of the actual title. Are there any loopholes? I want to get my life back on track and be a good role model for my son. Please help! PS the charge was prostitution, and I’m trying to go into nursing.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Palumbo and Kosofsky
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
It should have been sealed at sentencing. Our office can represent you in researching whether it was and if not making the appropriate application to the court for a sealing order.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/25/2011
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
I would need further information such as were you given Youthful Offender Status ( if you were under 20 at time of offense ), if so then the conviction would have been vacated and the records sealed. I do not know if you really had a violation ( only thing that is less than a misdemeanor), if so , that is not a crime- only misdemeanors and felonies are crimes. You should hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/25/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
Your summary indicates that you have a criminal record for a crime less than a misdemeanor involving prostitution. There is a violation of solicitation that would not be a crime, and therefore not a criminal record, but still a record for a violation which could hurt your chances of employment. Your attorney should have moved to seal the record when you get it an he should have requested a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities that could help you get employment. You can still apply for the Certificate with an attorney. You do not have a record of a misdemeanor according to your statement, but even a record for a violation of that nature carries a stigma that would potentially hurt your chances of getting certain jobs or being able to be a doctor, lawyer, or nurse. You may be able to make a 440.10 motion to vacate the conviction if it was illegal, improper, or if there is now evidence of innocence. Feel free to call anytime for a consultation.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: