How can I save my home from foreclosure during divorce? 5 Answers as of July 24, 2013

I can't get my estranged husband to cooperate on saving our property from foreclosure. I am living in the home and am trying to work with mortgage company on a loan modification. They want his name off the deed but he doesn't want to do that or work with mortgage company at all. Any suggestions? I have another hearing on Wednesday July 24, 2013.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Not much you can do other than file a partition order to get him to sign off deed but that does not take him off the mortgage.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/24/2013
Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
The Family Court has the power to award the house to you as part of the dissolution judgment. But you would have to either buy out your husband's half interest or give him equivalent value in other community assets.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/23/2013
Niswanger Law Firm PLC
Niswanger Law Firm PLC | Steve Niswanger
There might be a way in the foreclosure proceedings to have your estranged husband's interest in the property extinguished in relation to some sort of work out arrangement with the mortgage company. But, you really need a lawyer at the hearing tomorrow.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 7/24/2013
Frank Law Group, P.C.
Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
You will need your family law attorney to work with his attorney, if he has one. If not, or if your ex's attorney is not being cooperative, you will need to ask the court for an order to remove his name from the deed. It is a complicated process, but an attorney in your area should be able to assist you in getting that done.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/24/2013
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
You can file a Motion with the court to compel him to cooperate. A judge may or may not award that.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: