How can I return to the US after my green card expired? 4 Answers as of May 04, 2011

Im separated from my husband and now I am in my country and my green card is expired. How can return it to the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you are still married, then talk it over with your husband so that he can re-file for you upon your return. This may have to be done before an Immigration Judge. Otherwise, you will have to find another sponsor to file for you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
That depends. Was it a two or ten year green card. I am going to assume it is the latter, in which case you want to make an appointment with the US consulate in your region to see about obtaining a returning resident visa. You can expect to spend a lot of time at the port of entry, as DHS will also need to process your entry differently than normal. Once back in the US you can apply for a renewal green card. Here is a link for you:
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
It depends on how long ago it expired and why. If a good reason and hasn't been expired long, you may be able to get a Transportation Letter as a Returning Resident from the consulate. The issue of permanent residency abandonment may occur as well depending on how long you were abroad, your payment of U.S. taxes, continued ties in the U.S, residence, bank accounts, etc. If you wish to consult on the facts of your case, I suggest you set up a paid consultation and we can review and properly advise. If not salvageable, you may need to re-apply if the same petitioner is still available to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You simply can't return without green card unless you have it renewed in US.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: