How can I restore my gun rights? 3 Answers as of June 02, 2011

I was convicted in a Washington Juvenile Court of Attempted Assault 2nd Degree a Class B Felony in 2002. I was later Convicted of Possession of Marijuana under 40 grams in 2003 (Completely different offense) as well as several traffic charges and a different all at other times. I am now an Adult, and all restitution has been paid. I have served the last 5 years in the US Army (home of record is Washington) with two deployments and totaling over 36 months overseas as well as hold our Nation’s highest security clearance. I am wondering if I am eligible to have my Gun Rights restored? Some places say yes, and others say no because Assault was a violent crime. I am very confused on this matter and believe that I have learned my lessons and would like to hunt with my father and uncles. I would find it ridiculous if not able to restore them seeing as how I have put my life on the line, led other men into battle and handled multiple weapons systems that civilians are not even allowed to own.

Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
Restoration of rights to posses a firearm are governed by Washington RCW 9.41.077. You may read this, and other RCWs, at www.legalwa.org. For a Class B felony, restoration may occur ten years after the conditions of the juvenile disposition have been met and a Certificate and Order of Discharge obtained. The underlying felony may not be a "violent" crime as defined at RCW 9.94A.030. Expungement is an option which can take place ten years after the conditions of the juvenile disposition have been met. Rights would be restored on successful expungement and sealing of the disposition data. A pardon from the Governor is another way to regain these rights.
Law Office of Michael Brodsky
Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
You should be eligible to move the convicting court to restore your right to possess a firearm. You should contact an attorney with some expertise in that area.
Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC | Lisa Mulligan
Thank you for your service to our country! Yes, it would be ridiculous if you were not able to reinstate your gun rights and although the att'd assault is a violent offense, I do believe you are eligible to have your firearm rights restored - I'd have to take a look at the rest of your criminal history to be sure. You should also be eligible to have your juvenile conviction sealed, which could be done at the same time as the gun rights restoration, if you were interested in doing so.